Purpose of Counseling
The purpose of this counseling is to inform you of your selection to attend BLC, provide dates and prepare you for attendance.
Key Points of Discussion
You have been selected to attend the next Basic Leader Course (BLC). Your report date for this class will be on __________. The graduation date for this class is scheduled to be __________.
To prepare you for BLC, we will review the following topics.
1. Make sure you meet all requirements. Soldiers have been sent home for non-compliance. Do not be one of them. Bring proof of Structured Self Development 1 (SSD-1) completion.
2. Financial responsibility. Make sure you are financially prepared for this TDY. Ensure your bills are paid. Ensure your dependents have sufficient money for any expenses they have during your absense.
3. Meals. You will be issued a meal card during the time you are at BLC.
4. Equipment. I am attaching the list of TA-50 equipment required for BLC. Ensure you have every item on the list and that all of it is clean and serviceable. The 1SG will conduct an inspection of your equipment one week prior to your departure date.
5. Uniforms. You must have a full complement of service uniforms and Class A's. All awards, badges and name tags are required. Awards and ribbons must match your ERB.
6. Requirements in BLC. The following are required to graduate the course.
a. Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT). You will be given an APFT prior to BLC. This APFT will be given by the battalion about 10 days before your departure date.
b. You must meet AR 600-9 standards for height and weight.
c. Written Exams. Three exams are given in BLC. You must score at least 70% on each exam to pass.
d. Drill and PT. You will be required to lead PT and march the class at least once for a GO/NO GO grade.
e. Speech and Instruction. You must choose a topic from the Skill Level 1 tasks in STP 21-1-SMCT and develop and give a class on it. If this is a challenge for you, I advise starting now.
f. Land Navigation. For most Soldiers, this skill requires the most preparation. I will review the basics with you to refresh your memory.
g. Leadership Evaluation. You will be evaluated in a garrison and field environment. You must score at least 70% to pass.
Plan of Action
We will inventory your equipment on __________.
Lead PT and practice Drill with Platoon Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Attend Land Navigation Classes (date provided later).
Take a diagnostic/record APFT on __________.
Review the standards for conducting a class.
Ensure all inventories are completed, shortages remedied
Ensure Soldier's financial responsibilities are planned for and met
Schedule Soldier to conduct PT and Drill
Ensure Soldier understands all requirements and responsibilities for attending BLC