Back to Event Oriented Counseling
Thanks for your contributions!
PURPOSE OF COUNSELING
To counsel Soldier IAW AR 600-8-19, para 1-27, mandatory counseling requirements for individuals in the primary zone of consideration but not recommended for promotion
KEY POINTS OF DISCUSSION
The purpose of this counseling is to inform you that you were considered but not selected for promotion to Sergeant. This does not mean that you are not qualified or undeserving of promotion, but only an indication of the competitiveness of the selection process. I encourage you to continue to work hard as I am sure you will selected for advancment within the next 6 months.
In order to be considered for promotion in the primary zone, a Soldier must have 36 months Time in Service and 8 months Time in Grade. You currently have ____ months Time in Service and ____ months Time in Grade. In Month, Year, you became eligible for promotion in the primary zone of consideration.
I will recommend you for promotion to Sergeant when your performance and my assessment of your potential improves. To reach this milestone in your career, you should focus on the following areas:
The majority of board points will be awarded for appearance, military bearing, and verbal responses. I will assist you in these areas to help you obtain the best possible score. Start studying for the promotion board now to make sure you'll be ready. I also suggest that you attend a Soldier of the Quarter board. That experience will prepare you for the promotion board and, if you win, will earn additional points for your promotion to Sergeant.
PLAN OF ACTION
- Take immediate action to improve the performance identified in this counseling.
- Start studying now for the Soldier of the Quarter board.
- Begin an aggressive physical fitness plan no later than 4 weeks before the APFT. Be prepared to take a record APFT test on Day/Month/Year.
- Make an appointment at the Education Center to evaluate your current credits. Take all proof of completion of college courses and military schools and courses. Enroll in an education plan to earn points toward promotion. Use caution and don't sign up for more than you can reasonably expect to finish.
- Review basic marksmanship procedures and be prepared to attend a qualification range on Day/Month/Year.
- Review the promotion board LOI and the Soldier of the Quarter Board LOI. Use these LOIs to prepare for the board.
I believe that you can and will improve your performance and that with consistent effort will be able to earn recommendation for promotion. But it will require a strong desire and agressive action on your part.
- Provide LOIs to Soldier
- Provide regular, scheduled and unscheduled, and constructive feedback
- Provide assistance to Soldier on any topic requested
- When Soldier's performance merits it, schedule mock boards with senior NCO participation