Government Travel Card Counseling


Purpose of Counseling:

To inform you that you are in violation of the Government Travel-Military Personnel Statement of Understanding (USAR Form 89-1-R), which states you would: 1) abide by all rules and regulations with respect to the card, 2) pay all of your charges so that payment is received by the contractor within 30 days of the closing date indicated on the monthly billing statement, 3) notify your program coordinator of any problems with respect to your use of the card. Failure in sustaining this agreement has resulted in the following:

Delinquency Report has confirmed that the amount of $XXX.XX was due in full to CitiBank on X XXX XX. This unpaid amount is XX days past due.


Complete this section during or immediately subsequent to counseling.

Key Points of Discussion:

This is to inform you that your Government Travel Card (GTC) is now XX days past due.

- The GTC contract requires that all outstanding charges be paid by the date specified on the billing statement.

- You will be assessed a $29 late fee upon 31 days of your GTC account being delinquent and an additonal $29 every 30 days after.

- Continued delinquency for non-compliance or failure to pay may result in discplinary action IAW AR 600-20, para. 4-22(d).

- Failure to resolve delinquent payments will result in GTC deactivation after 60 Days and garishment of wages by DFAS after 90 days and an adverse credit rating IAW FMR Vol 9 Chapter 3 and FMR Vol 7 Chapter 43.

I am counseling you for the conduct noted above. If this conduct continues, action may be initiated to separate you from the Army IAW AR 635-200. If you are involuntary separated, you could receive an Honorable Discharge, a General (Under Honorable Conditions) Discharge, or Under Other Than Honorable Conditions Discharge. An Honorable Discharge is a separation with honor based on the quality of service, which meets the standards of acceptable conduct and performance of duty. A General Discharge is a separation under honorable conditions, based on a military record being satisfactory but not sufficiently meritorious to warrant an Honorable Discharge. A discharge Under Other Than Honorable Conditions is based upon a pattern of behavior of one or more acts or omissions that constitutes a significant departure from the conduct expected of a soldier. An Honorable Discharge may be awarded under any provisions. A General Discharge may be awarded for separation under Chapter 5, Chapter 9, Chapter 13 and Chapter 14. An Under Other Than Honorable Conditions Discharge may be awarded for separation under Chapter 14 for misconduct. If you receive an Honorable Discharge, you will be qualified for most benefits resulting from military service. An involuntary honorable Discharge, however, will disqualify you from reenlistment for some period of time and may disqualify you from receiving transitional benefits (e.g., commissary, housing, health benefits) and the Montgomery GI Bill if you have not met other program requirements. If you receive a General Discharge, you will be disqualified from reenlisting in the service for some period of time and you will be ineligible for some military and VA administered benefits, including the Montgomery GI Bill. If you receive a discharge Under Other Than Honorable Conditions, you will be ineligible for reenlistment and for most benefits, including payments of accrued leave, transitional benefits, the Montgomery GI Bill, and possibly transportation of dependents and household goods to home. You may also face difficulty in obtaining civilian employment as employers have a low regard for General and Under Other Than Honorable conditions discharges. Although there are agencies to which you may apply to have your characterization of service changed, it is unlikely that such application will be successful. (Soldier's initials)

This form will be destroyed upon: reassignment (other than rehabilitative transfers), separation at ETS, or upon retirement. For separation requirements and notification of loss of benefits/consequences see local directives and AR 635-200.

Plan of Action:

- Check for any unsubmitted voucher(s) in DTS. For travel inquiries contact the Battalion DTS POC or the Battalion DTS Approving Official.

- If a manual DD Form 1351-2 was submitted to DFAS, call customer service to follow up on the status of your travel voucher.

- The delinquent balance may be resolved by one of the following actions: 1) payment in full, 2) a reasonable explanation documented and submitted to the Agency/Organization Program Coordinator (AOPC) SSG Wills, or 3) an agreed upon repayment schedule with the travel card contractor. Billing questions may be directed to the travel card contractor at the number printed on the billing statement and on the back of the GTC for that purpose.

- DA 4856 - DEVELOPMENTAL COUNSELING with plan of action for debt repayment is required to be completed every 30 days until balance is $0.00.

Image of Page Divider Line Icon

To contribute examples, enter them below and click Submit. Thanks!